Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A case study of riding a section of trail with and without rear brakes

With rear brakes:



Without rear brakes:




Usually I do this section just before heading to the tunnel from the south side of 101. Today I started down it, grabbed a little back brake and the lever went all the way to the bar, (FULL SPEED DAN-O!), I tried clipping out, and was only able to unclip the left foot, with my arms fully extended, chest on the seat I proceeded down, there is a tree at the bottom on the right side that I was headed for, I leaned left and plowed into a large rock.
I haven't totally figured out what happened with my Avid mech and why it failed, I did adjust it about 10 minutes prior to this, almost like the piston that pushes the pad got hung up, and then when I needed it most it freed up and went all the way out, so that the pad would not contact the disc.
The only injury is sore abs, no marks or bruising yet.
I have spare bike, minus a front wheel =(
The Dean will be going to Wheel Power to make sure the head tube and the rest of the frame are OK. (fingers crossed).



-Dan

No comments: