Saturday, March 25, 2006

Biking Roots (BMX)

This is random, but I was looking through some old pictures yesterday, and came across a pic of my 1986 Diamond Back Super Viper. This is what I consider my first "real" bike. I had others, mostly Huffy or Columbia, but this was the first with a free wheel, dia compe brakes, tioga tires, etc. It was chrome and black, I thought it was a bad a$$ bike. I wanted to be just like Pistol Pete Luncarevich, or Harry Leary, more of the racing types, than the freestylers, although I thought they were cool, I just didn't have the skills. (Think Eddy Fiola and Mike Dominez). Flashing through my head were images of riding to the rope swing during the summer, lake jumping off my neighbors dock (before I knew what rust was), building jumps and a small figure 8 track in my friends yard, racing at the local BMX races, riding 10 miles on the road to get there because my mom wouldn't take me. Last night I was thinking how much fun I had on that bike and that I haven't been into anything else besides bicycles and riding them ever since.
Then today, I walk into my LBS, and there is a 2006 Diamond Back Super Viper.
Now I am wondering if this is destiny, although I am not sure that a 6'3" 215lb 31 year old would really be able to ride one, but maybe my 6yo daughter would like it?
I am pretty happy with my Surly Karate Monkey (SS Rigid).
I think I have gone full circle, as I went from the Super Viper to a mtn bike(&road bike), then added suspension to the front of my mtn bikes, to a full suspension, back to a HT with suspension fork, to full rigid one speed bike.
Just wanted to share this, and see if anyone else has similiar roots out there.
Thanks for reading.
Dan

No comments: