Monday, February 20, 2006

Yeknom Etarak Ylrus

I gots me a noo bi-see-kul!

A Surly Karate Monkey.

Here is a report of the first few rides:
Overall it was a good ride, I have my 26" gearing right now 32x18, and I thought I would be killing myself, but it really wasn't that bad. I did notice a few climbs that I am usually able to make I couldn't, who knows what's to blame for that though.
I felt very comfortable on the bike as far as position, standover, etc.
That being said, I tried a few things that I have never done before (going over a few rocks, etc.) and did make it.

The rigid fork was a little hand numbing by the end of the 2 hours, first time on a rigid fork in 10 years. It really showed its positive attributes while climbing, that side of it is great. No "First time humping on a waterbed" as PAW would say. Going the other way (longer descents) made me want just a few inches of travel.

The funny thing about the bike, which is a 22" frame, is it looks like everyone elses (size 19" and smaller) bike as far as proportional frame to the wheels. I met a guy and a girl from Hanover, NH out there (Ft Rock), they asked for directions to the tunnel, he accused me of being crazy to be riding a SS, then he saw a rigid fork, and was up in arms about that. He and his wife were riding Blur's. He then said I must be a young college kid, wait til I hit my 30's and 40's (Ha! I'm 31) but he didn't even realize it had big wheels.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice Monkey! (Insert spanking joke here)

Can't wait to get out and ride again. This weird weather has got me out riding clear trails in Jan/Feb for the first time in my biking life. Just what my addiction needed...an easy fix!

Simplicity is beauty...a rigid SS is as simple as it gets.